Softaware – Norman Music Festival
The band with lush, dreamy synthesizers, Softaware, speaks with me in this Norman Music Festival performer question and answer session. Softaware will perform at the Sooner Theatre on Saturday, April 29, 2017, at 6:30 pm. Since this is the festival’s tenth year, here are ten questions to get to know them as answered by Colin Nance.
1. To get people to know you, how would you describe yourself and your music?
I’m very introspective, awkward and passionate. The music is an expression/side effect of those traits. It’s the soundtrack to my life.
2. What song would you like a person who hasn’t heard your music listen to first?
Any of them. I don’t like picking favorites when it comes to my music. Just pick any song off our record and if you like it, then hopefully it’s safe to say you will enjoy the rest. There is a very specific sonic palette that we operate within.
3. What’s your song writing process?
I like working backwards. I write and record song structures in a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation). Then the others come in and lay their parts on top of it. Once we find a balance of things we like, we find a way to reverse engineer it and try to translate that live. I think it helps to create a nice balance of organic and inorganic soundscapes.
4. What are your thoughts on the Norman Music Festival?
I love how much it has grown. It has really come into its own and it’s really one the only shows worth playing in throughout the year since there is such a great attendance for a lot of the sets that weekend. There is such a great energy from the bands and audience. It holds a special place in my heart.
5. In general, what inspires you?
Currently: All forms of art, literature, technology, human interaction, discourse, science, and dogs.
6. You’ve just been offered an all expenses paid trip. Where would you go?
7. Any plans while you’re in the Norman area?
Since I live in Austin now, I don’t get to see my favorite Oklahoma bands anymore. I plan on catching up with friends and seeing as much music as my brain can muster.
8. Anything else you want the public to know about you?
I’m sure they can find out all they need with a quick Google search or Facebook creep.
9. What do yo think should be the Ninth Wonder of the World?
10. What was the most extreme adventure you’ve had?
The extreme adventure of me trying to wrap my brain around the fact that Donald Trump was elected president of the united states. Still trying…