Carter Sampson – Norman Music Festival
Okie born, Oklahoma City based singer-songwriter, Carter Sampson, who will be performing a free show at the Norman Music Festival, speaks with me in this performer question and answer session. She will perform at the Bluebonnet Bar on Thursday, April 21, 2016 at 12:00am. Since this is the ninth year for the festival, here are nine questions to get to know her.
1. To get people to know you, how would you describe yourself and your music?
I am a traveller, a writer, a singer and guitar player.
2. What song would you like a person who hasnt heard your music listen to first?
The title track off my newest record Wilder Side. I love the way this album turned out and has the exact dreamy feel I was hoping it would have. Listen at https://cartersampson.bandcamp.com
3. Whats your song writing process?
I take it however I can get it. Sometimes I already have an idea and a song takes form quickly and other times I work for months on the same song.
4. What are your thoughts on the Norman Music Festival?
I love that right now theres a lot of Oklahoma music in the spotlight and NMF is a great way to showcase what we have here.
5. In general, what inspires you?
Traveling, trying new things, reading, donuts
6. You’ve just been offered an all expenses paid trip. Where would you go?
My passport cover says I haven’t been everywhere yet but its on my list and that is truly how I feel about traveling. It would probably be an inland somewhere warm and tropical.
7. Any plans while youre in the Norman area?
Check out the other bands playing and going to Hurts Donuts with my band. Its our Norman tradition.
8. Anything else you want the public to know about you?
I am the founder & director of The Rock n Roll Camp for Girls OKC, a non profit that empowers girls and women through music. I am so proud to have this camp in OKC! Our second summer camp is July 11-15 with a camper showcase (open to the public) on July 16th. www.rcgokc.org
9. What do you think should be the Ninth Wonder of the World?