Emo/hardcore band, Naturalist, speaks with me in this performer question and answer session. They will perform at the Fowler Honda Gray Street Stage on Friday, April 22, 2016 at 8:15pm. Since this is the ninth year for the festival, here are nine questions to get to know them as answered by guitarist, Nathan Schatzer.
1. To get people to know you, how would you describe yourself and your music?
The music we write as a band is just kind of how the five of our minds work collectively. We don’t have any other emotional release so we put it all into our music.
2. What song would you like a person who hasn’t heard your music listen to first?
“I Miss Everyone I’ve Ever Met”. It’s one I’m really proud of and in my opinion helps show people the direction we’re aiming for.
3. What’s your song writing process?
I joined into the band about two years after they all got together, so it’s been really interesting to learn the process and integrate my own into it, but really it’s just small ideas that get bigger and bigger. Our motto is, “Don’t force it.”
4. What are your thoughts on the Norman Music Festival?
I’ve lived here forever and it’s always been a dream of mine as an up and comer to play the fest. I always thought I’d be in a bar or coffee shop hahaha.
5. In general, what inspires you?
That’s a tough one, but more than anything I’d say the people around me. Half the ideas I’ve had would be anything without my friends and family.
6. You’ve just been offered an all expenses paid trip. Where would you go?
Definitely Europe. We were supposed to tour there about a year ago but it was a bit too expensive haha.
7. Any plans while you’re in the Norman area?
I can’t go to Norman without stopping by Hurts Donuts, and Wizards Asylum Comics!
8. Anything else you want the public to know about you?
We’re hitting the road for three weeks in June! Make sure you’re keeping an eye out for our van companion, Barry Vanilow in your city!
9. What do you think should be the Ninth Wonder of the World?
A: Probably Ashton (our vocalist) after he’s had half a bottle of Jim Beam. Nobody quite understands how he got there, but man he’s there.
Thanks for the fun interview man!