The psychedelic garage rock group, Costello , speaks with me in this Norman Music Festival performer question and answer session. Costello will perform at the Fowler Automotive Main Stage on Saturday, April 28, 2018, at 2:00 pm. Here are ten questions to get to know them.
1. To get people to know you, how would you describe yourself and your music?
Clare: I feel the full spectrum of life! The polarities- masculine/feminine, dark/light… must exist to maintain. The universe is always shifting, as I am, as my art is.
2. What song would you like a person who hasn’t heard your music listen to first?
Clare: Memory Warned.
3. What’s your song writing process?
Clare: It’s never exactly the same. Sometimes I write a poem and come up with music to go along with. Sometimes I have a riff in mind and write lyrics to go with. Sometimes it all comes out at once.
4. What are your thoughts on the Norman Music Festival?
“Seeing my first NMF as a freshman in college made me realize pursuing music is a completely viable option in this community. It inspired me to start my first band.”Felix: Norman Music Festival is my favorite time of year. It feels like a holiday that the entire town keeps secret so we can have it all ourselves. Seeing my first NMF as a freshman in college made me realize pursuing music is a completely viable option in this community. It inspired me to start my first band.
5. In general, what inspires you?
Clare: As I mentioned before, the polarities. Nature in general. Being open to the energy of a given time and place makes me feel alive and thus inspired.
6. You’ve just been offered an all expenses paid trip. Where would you go?
Felix: Puerto Rico because 1. San Juan is the oldest city in America. 2. Puerto Rico is working incredibly hard to rebuild it’s economy and needs as much outside stimulus as possible. 3. It’s a beautiful place full of beautiful souls. (If it’s not obvious, I am Puerto Rican.)
7. Any plans while you’re in the Norman area?
Clare: We live in Norman, so, no major Norman plans. Hanging with my cat, catching up with friends, eating some food at the Earth, and biking around to all the shows.
8. What else you want the public to know about you?
Clare: Sometimes it’s good to remind ourselves that it’s all an illusion 🙂 or is it….
9. What do you think should be the Eleventh Wonder of the World?
Felix: San Antonio Hot Springs in New Mexico
10. What was the most extreme adventure you’ve had?
Clare: I had a (sober) demonic encounter in the Himalayas one summer solstice.
The eleveth Norman Music Festival is on April 26, 27, and 28, 2018. Read more interviews from performers in the festival, present and past, here. To learn more about the festival, check out our NMF page.