With music described as Ether Pop and Electronic, GHOST DATA, speaks with me in this Norman Music Festival performer question and answer session. GHOST DATA will perform at Opolis on Thursday, April 26, 2018, at 11:00 pm. Here are ten questions to get to know him.
1. To get people to know you, how would you describe yourself and your music?
I am merely an amalgamation of the things I hold dear to myself. The best way to describe my music is a perverted obsession with storytelling in the form of melody, harmonic progressions, and unique drum patterns.
2. What song would you like a person who hasn’t heard your music listen to first?
I think either Silk Lingerie or Iridescent are the songs I’d like someone who’s never heard my music to start on, mainly because Silk Lingerie is what fueled my signature sound, while Iridescent is a “Well, here’s what 5 years of that ended up sounding like.”
3. What’s your song writing process?
I always, always, ALWAYS start with a chord. Never start with drums, unless it’s a DnB song, in which the drums are arguably the most important parts of a good DnB song.
4. What are your thoughts on the Norman Music Festival?
I haven’t had a real chance to experience NMF, being a musical hermit and all. But from what I’ve seen on the outskirts seems like a great opportunity for musicians from all around to showcase what makes them unique. I’m very excited for it!
5. In general, what inspires you?
Video game and anime culture, as well as the orchestral scene and electronic scene. These all collide with each other sooner or later, and I find that amazing. Honestly, I could go on for DAYS on HOW these inspire me, but I’ll leave these 4 examples here.
6. You’ve just been offered an all expenses paid trip. Where would you go?
I would like to visit Japan and some of the major cities there. Not just Akihabara or Tokyo, but places like Kyoto and more conservative places to get a more realistic look into the culture that SURROUNDS the more popular things like otaku lifestyles and the fashion scene in more popular cities.
7. Any plans while you’re in the Norman area?
Not really, Norman is a bit of a small town. I think Oklahoma City or Houston is calling my name. When I heed their call, the world may never know. Let’s hope sooner rather than later.
8. What else you want the public to know about you?
Well, quite frankly, that I EXIST. And of course that my music is a great way to get to know me.
9. What do you think should be the Eleventh Wonder of the World?
10. What was the most extreme adventure you’ve had?
When I played Dark Souls.
The eleveth Norman Music Festival is on April 26, 27, and 28, 2018. Read more interviews from performers in the festival, present and past, here. To learn more about the festival, check out our NMF page.