Dewey Binns answers ten questions in this Norman Music Festival performer question and
1. To get people to know you, how would you describe yourself and your music?
Atmosphere had a love child with Phonte but I can’t sing like Phonte. Blev makes most of my beats so that’s always good. I’m 72 years old in rap years.
2. What song would you like a person who hasn’t heard your music listen to first?
“Batteries” off the Dead Skin EP.
3. What’s your song writing process?
I write to the beat. Typically it starts with an interesting first line then the ideas form off of that. I don’t necessarily decide on a theme until the first couple bars have been written.
4. What are your thoughts on the Norman Music Festival?
I played in the inaugural NMF in a band called 8bit Cynics. It was great then and it’s great now. I also like that they’re not scared of hip hop.
5. In general, what inspires you?
My music friends. I’ve been blessed with super talented homies, many of them performing at NMF as well. We all force each other to get better because someone is always raising the bar in some way.
6. You’ve just been offered an all expenses paid trip. Where would you go?
“My set is too hot, might just do Mars like a Piston”
7. Any plans while you’re in the Norman area?
Im finna eat.
8. What else you want the public to know about you?
My actual life is nothing like I portray it to be in my music. I mean being a responsible family man with a normal job doesn’t always translate to great hip hop. So I make most of my bad choices in songs.
9. What do you think should be the Twelfth Wonder of the World?
10. What was the most extreme adventure you’ve had?
Juárez, Mexico in 2001. Got handcuffed twice. Got released twice. Good times.
The twelfth Norman Music Festival is on April 25, 26, and 27, 2019. Read more interviews from performers in the festival -present and past- through here. To learn more about the festival, check out Uncovering Oklahoma’s NMF page.