Samuel Regan – Norman Music Festival
With multi-instrumental, sample-based experimental minimalism with influence from contemporary classical, drone and noise sounds, Samuel Regan answers ten questions in this Norman Music Festival performer question and answer session to get to know them before the festival. Samuel Regan will perform at Opolis (indoor) on Thursday, April 25, 2019, at 7:30 pm.
1. To get people to know you, how would you describe yourself and your music?
I am composer and producer from Oklahoma City. My music is always changing most of it can be filed under ambient, contemporary classical, electroacoustic, etc. It’s contemplative, textural, experimental. I care about it a whole lot.
2. What song would you like a person who hasn’t heard your music listen to first?
That one has me stumped – I like sharing works in progress with my friends, otherwise I’m not sure. Maybe “Judy” off of my most recent record called Apart. I’ll be playing that one during my NMF set.
3. What’s your song writing process?
Constantly evolving as I experiment with different hardware and compositional approaches. Most of the time, I pick up an instrument and record myself improvising with on it. Then I end up kinda sampling myself and (heavily) process the audio. Been using synthesizers and Ableton Live recently.
4. What are your thoughts on the Norman Music Festival?
Love it, love seeing my friends and local acts I haven’t seen live yet. I also find the crowds and noise etc overwhelming so I miss a lot of it.
5. In general, what inspires you?
Emotions, the senses, philosophy, elegance and natural order in all its forms. Collaboration. Sacred and ethereal stuff. Music!!
6. You’ve just been offered an all expenses paid trip. Where would you go?
India or something.
7. Any plans while you’re in the Norman area?
See some buddies and eat at The Earth Cafe and Deli.
8. What else you want the public to know about you?
9. What do you think should be the Twelfth Wonder of the World?
Look up “list of unexplained sounds” on Wikipedia – something from that.
10. What was the most extreme adventure you’ve had?
Sometimes I leave my house more than once per day!
The twelfth Norman Music Festival is on April 25, 26, and 27, 2019. Read more interviews from performers in the festival -present and past- through here. To learn more about the festival, check out Uncovering Oklahoma’s NMF page.